Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Two Must-See Exhibitions



I recently went to the National Gallery of Art and saw two incredible exhibitions. The first was the "Prayers and Portraits" show of Northern Renaissance dyptichs. The paintings themselves were marvelous. From the incredible detail, to the way the paint was handled, they just don't make painters like that anymore. It was also fantastic to see some of these dyptichs in the context of how they would have been used.
The second show was of Rembrandt prints. There are five rooms in this exhibition each packed with his etchings and drawings. I was awestruck by the intensity of these prints. This exhibition has so much work it is almost too overwhelming to get through it all. My favorite room of this show was the fourth room with the religious works.

1 comment:

BuffaloBandit said...

Nate,
I really like these new pieces. And I think you nailed the colors. Until I read your comments about them I hadn't really consciously noticed your use of colors, but they look great. Who's the dude in the Viking cap? He intrigues me. You can tell me if it's me :)